Saturday, March 14, 2009

A New World=New Perspective

***Disclaimer***-the following blog may, or may not, appropriately reflect the title. This is really coming from many of my thoughts in the last few weeks. I couldn't really think of a title that really encompassed what I would be writing about, but went with the best I could think of.

Do you ever go to a new place, town, city, mall, restaurant, etc and look around at the people, you don't know, and wonder about their story? Everyone has a story. Everyone has had experiences that have shaped them, they all have family members and friends, who also have their own stories, you may even be somehow connected in a "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon way", and you may not. Maybe knowing their story would impact you, or help shape you, maybe it would be the other way around and you would impact them. Of course there are the times when people impact us and they don't even know it. Some of these are people we know and some are people we have never even met. These are things I think about. Our worlds are so small compared to the world as a whole, and yet in our own little worlds we become so easily overwhelmed, and at the same time find so much happiness. While the world is full of great things to discover it also contains sadness. We try to keep sadness away as much as we can it is inevitable and can impact us even in positive ways.

With technology has come even more ways to be connected with the ones we know and love, as well as open ourselves up to the whole world and tell our stories, and hear other's. We become impacted in so many more ways. Many of the blogs I read have lists of blogs they read. It's interesting to click on these blogs, of people I don't know, and learn about them, or read their stories, as well as then check out their blog lists, and so on and so forth. I have found long-lost friends on blogs of people I didn't know, and have been able to reconnect with them. I have found people that give creative ideas for parties, people that I have bought things from, people that have aided me in my blog, and people that have impacted me through their stories.

One of these stories is one about Cora. I've added their families story to my blog list. I don't know the Mcclenahans and I'm pretty sure they don't know me. They have impacted me greatly. Many of you know Cora though, as I've seen her story on your blog too. How did I find Cora? Through randomly looking at a blog, of someone I don't know, that was asking for prayers for this family. Who is Cora, for those that don't know and might be wondering. Cora is an angel. When I first met Cora she was an adorable 11 month old little girl and her family had recently found out she had cancer. Although she fought a mighty battle she lost that battle and went to be with the angels. I started following her story shortly after her battle began. She had ear infections and was having a hard time getting over them, went to the doctor to find out why, needless to say that doctor's visit was not what they were expecting.

I checked their blog daily, everyday hoping the post would be positive and to hear good news. One day I checked in on them and learned that Cora had passed away. I was heartbroken. Heartbroken for a family I had never met. I still check in on their family, as do so many others. What I have seen is 200+ comments left on their blog each time a new post is posted. They have not only impacted me but so many others. One person tells another who tells another and the list grows. Such a sad story but so inspiring.

How could this be inspiring you might ask? Every time I would read their blog I would ask myself what I would do if I were in this situation, could I handle this? Honestly I don't know; you never truly know what you would do until your in the situation. This family inspires me and amazes me with their strength and faith. Although they told you they were hurting, grieving and questioning, in their hearts they knew that God had a plan and still believed God is good. To me that is inspiring, to see all of God's work he has done through this family is inspiring. It's hopeful. What has transpired through this tragedy is amazing. People, some that know them some that don't, have come together to do amazing things. They are building a playground in Cora's name, and most importantly sharing a wonderful story. If you ever follow my lists on my blog you can know this family too. I've even posted comments on their blog. When someone impacts you, whether you know them or not, if you have the opportunity you should tell them. I hope if you haven't yet you will take the time to meet The Macs. You'll be inspired too.

In a time where technology is always at your finger tips, and negativity is spread so fast and furious, that we can use this tool to spread the positives. These are stories that most likely won't make the 6:00 news, E News, or even Best Week Ever because they lack the sensationalism that draws in viewers and/or readers. You won't find these on the cover of the magazines you might peruse in line at the grocery store. The Lord works in mysterious ways. I challenge you to make new blog friends. Search out those stories of others and take a step outside your bubble to expand your world, not only to give but also to receive.

2 comments:

Jeanie Bree said...

Thank you for this post. I read the blog about Cora and her family and it touched my heart in such a tremendous way. I've shared it with Dan and it's reminded us yet again where are perspective in life should be...and to count each and every day as a blessing with the ones that we love.

Christina said...

I've been following Cora's story since I found a link to the Mcclenahans blog thru the "whatever" blog I read. It's absolutely so heartbreaking. Their little Cora was such a precious baby girl. I, too find their faith so inspiring. We have so much to be thankful for!