Sunday, July 31, 2011

St. Jude

So here we are, less than a week away from the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital Bloomington to Peoria run. How many miles is that? 56 miles. Always the first weekend in August. There are teams that run from Memphis, TN to Peoria, Chicago to Peoria and random places in between. Why? To raise money for St. Jude's and the amazing work they do for children and their families.

Friday an email went out to all participants with the route, rules, etc. One of the added items was a list, about 6 pages, of various quotes from people when they were asked "Why do you run?" Surprising, to me, a lot of people run in honor of their child, niece, nephew, husband, neighbor, and the list goes on. I realize that there are many out there that have struggled with cancer, but was quite inspired by all the personal stories. I started reading it over my lunch at work, but had to stop because I couldn't contain the tears.

One quote "I run to raise money for St. Jude's and in hopes that someday the children will be able to run too." really got to me.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have one of my children need to the help of St. Jude. I think any parent would give anything to prevent that from ever happening. Unfortunately we don't get to be in control of that. I think that a place like St. Jude is the best of a horribly tragic situation. A place that provides care, support, love a treatment to children and their families. A place that does it with no cost to the family. A place that does it through donations and fundraisers such as this run.

I've run the past 2 years, Brad has run the past 3. This year he will continue to run and I will be helping my mom with the catch-van and various behind the scenes grunt work:) I couldn't think of a better or more important place to be. This run, and the people we meet and stories we here, both in the Bergner's parking lot in the wee 6:00 hour on Saturday morning, and when we get to the live telethon in Peoria, inspires me!

My girls are very educated in the St. Jude's run. It has become a part of their summer routine. Just today we were talking about a birthday party the girls were invited to next weekend and Kaylee asked "Will you and Daddy be doing the run?" Yep, they know all about it and they know why we do it.

There's still time to donate. No amount is too small. If you go to www.stjudepeoriaruns.org/users/busings01 you can donate on our page.

For those that have done so already or mailed us a check...THANK YOU!!! Your support is what makes St. Jude's be able to do what they do!!

No comments: