Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Holidays!

I am sure like ours, your holidays came and went in a hurry! There is always so much excitement in the air and always so much to get done! For me it is because there are so many great traditions I want to maintain and therefore must schedule in. I don't want to start too early resulting in Thanksgiving unnoticed so I'm left with only a few short weeks to get everything in. We are also blessed with a lot of family and thankfully we all still try to get together around the holidays. So with our traditions and family gatherings here are some of the things we fit in post-Thanksgiving to Christmas:

  1. My Father-n-law's birthday; November 27th
  2. Schelle Christmas (my step-mom's extended side); Saturday after Thanksgiving
  3. Putting up Christmas decorations
  4. Shopping
  5. Toys For Tots
  6. State Farm Santa Visit
  7. Preschool Holiday Program
  8. Duffy Family Christmas (Dad's extended side)
  9. Festival of Lights
  10. Gingerbread Houses
  11. Baking
  12. Various getting together with immediate family for Christmas

The magic of the season keeps me jolly through all of it. As the girls have gotten older watching the magic of Christmas is very inspiring and refreshing. I love that they are so good about donating things for others. Kaylee has really started understanding the concept of giving to others. When beginning our advent calendars this year and talking about all of the wonderful things December would hold she mentioned Toys for Tots. This is something I always did and continued with the girls. We go to the store and they each pick out something and we take it to a Toys for Tots box. I have to say they have never once complained that we weren't buying them something. I anticipate it every year, as that would be a natural reaction for a child to have, "why can't I have something too?", but on these Toys for Tots days that hasn't happened. That makes me one proud Mama!

As the years continue I have a feeling my list will get longer. Some things may change out for others, i.e. preschool program for elementary school program, but I don't think I could ever just take away one of our traditions. Do they keep us busy? Yes. Do they leave us with memories to last a lifetime? Absolutely!

We hope that you and yours had a blessed and safe holiday season! Here are some of the photos from the memories we made this year:

Opening a gift at the Schelle Christmas
My Great-Grandma Schelle, she will be 95 next month and is such a doll!
Ainsley writing on her new dry erase board with Grandpa.
Gingerbread house complete!
Ainsley and Santa (and me:)) Kaylee still not a big fan of him in person.
At the State Farm visit they have various "scenes" set up for photo taking. Kaylee opted to participate in this, Ainsley not so much.
Getting ready to leave for Kaylee's Holiday Program.
Doing some arts and crafts at the Duffy Family Christmas. This one was creating your own manger scene with some stickers.
Presents
Collecting candy after the pinata broke.
Baking cookies with Mee-Maw
I saw this in a magazine and thought I would try it out.
Hanging out with Uncle Weezie and Sarah. Like Ainsley's new robe?
She looks like she's ready to box!
Ainsley lovin on her new pillow pet.
Kaylee having a bit of a breakdown at the end of Christmas Eve,
the other grandkids were still in good spirits.
Kaylee and Skyeler playing with some of their new toys.
It's always good to get socks and golf balls for Christmas! Look how happy they are!!
Christmas morning! The girls checking out what Santa left for them.
Christmas is never complete until there is a dance party with Aunt Kristin!

3 comments:

Jeanie Bree said...

Love all the photos. I always like reading your posts because I feel like I'm being told a great story. You have such a way with words. Looks like you had another memorable holiday season!!

Christina said...

Wow! What a great Christmas! You guys sure do stay busy. But it looks like everything was so much fun. I love that you take time to make the holidays so meaningful by celebrating with your family and also teaching the girls to give back and give to others. Those are things they will never forget!
Great pictures, too. I can tell this post took lots of time and thought!
love,
Christina

Unknown said...

Christina, You are much too kind in thinking it took me awhile to create this. I'm always feeling as though I'm hurrying to post things because I have limited time in doing so. I so wish I did have the time to be more thoughtful about my posts. But thank you for thinking I did that :)